Thursday, August 13, 2009

PS1 in Queens


I had the pleasure of experiencing a delight to the senses this past weekend when I spent the late afternoon/early evening in Queens at PS1. PS1 is a gallery that is basically an extension of MOMA and is where the more experimental installations live. The gallery is in an old high school that has been converted into an amazing gallery space. There are several floors to the gallery and each floor has a unique exhibit/installation. Outside of the highschool is a large and over flowing courtyard where the largest architectural installation lives. It is part of the YAP (Young Architect's Program) and every year these young architects submit their ideas, and hope to be selected so that their ideas become reality. This year marks the 10th anniversary of this endeavor and inside PS1 there is an exhibit showcasing installations from the past 10 years. It is a photographic chronicle of some amazing sculptures and design first as ideas on paper and then brought to life in photographs. The images are visually stunning, but it is also audibly pleasing as fun hip hop music is played throughout the room. What I loved most about PS1 is the outside courtyard, because not only did I find the installation cool, but I loved seeing the sea of people just dancing and moving to the beat of the music being DJ'd by reknown hip hop DJ's around the country. The day that I was there, there were at least 3 different DJ's being featured, one happened to be from SF, so of course I had to dance to his beats. ;-) So besides the cool art inside the gallery and the fun outside atmosphere on the courtyard, there were also several beer stations for people to buy beer and just chill. I'm not a beer drinker, but if I were, that would have been a highlight in itself. What more could you ask for, a hot summer day/evening, cold beer, fun music, happy people and art all in one place. I love NY!

Anyways...to check out more...go to PS1.org. and if you are visiting NYC, be sure to stop by. This event takes place every summer on Saturdays from 2-9 and ends Labor Day weekend.

No comments: