
Happy Chinese New Years everyone! I hope you didn't wash your hair today because if you did, Chinese superstition says that you just washed all of your luck for the year away. There are so many other superstitions that I can't possibly remember them all, but the washing of the hair on Chinese New Years day was one that my parents would always remind us of growing up. If you are to do anything to your hair, you were suppose to do it on Chinese New Years Eve. In anycase, I'm sure I've broken several rules today and in the past, but the washing of the hair, although I don't typically adhere to, decided today to abide by the superstition. After all, I'm in a new city without a job, so I am going to need all the luck I can muster. Anyways, being that it is Chinese New Years, I decided to take a walk to NYC's Chinatown to see if anything special was going on. At first it seemed like Chinatown was a ghost town. Most of the shops, especially salons, took today off. But there were certain stores that stayed open and even some restaurants, although not many. I happen to wander onto a block that had not only many open stores, but also restaurants, dragons, people, confetti and a bustling buddhist temple. I took a few pictures and even grabbed a fortune from the buddhist temple that read:
No. 13 Probability of Success: Excellent
Whatever you do,
Your dream will come true.
This is nothing new,
E'en out of the blue.
Seems like a pretty good fortune. But I was suppose to donate a dollar and put it in the slot, since I didn't have a dollar, I just walked out with the fortune. I'm wondering now if this fortune will even come true. Ugh! See what I mean when I say I'm sure I've broken several rules already. Aiya!
Well, today most Chinese families are celebrating the year of the Ox by having a big Chinese feasts. My parents are hosting one out in California and will have as their guests, their neighbors Don and Roger, who have been together for over 40 years and my dear Japanese best friend Kenny. I mention this because I think it is so awesome of my parents to invite non-traditional, non-Chinese friends to help them bring in the New Year. That is what I love about my parents and makes me proud to not only be a Chinese-American, but also their daughter.
Have fun mommy, daddy, Don, Roger and Kenny. I will be thinking of you guys today and wish you all a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!
1 comment:
Got to wash hair but I always make sure to have new clothes!
I thought the first day is supposed to be vegetarian only?!?
Post a Comment