
I had the most amazing time at the MOMA yesterday. I am not usually a huge fan of modern art, so the fact that I spent such a long time there and took so many pictures even amazed me. I guess my taste has started to change as I’ve either gotten older or perhaps by virtue of my new surroundings, I’ve come to appreciate new things. In any event, I left the MOMA really excited about all that I had seen and some of the pieces and installations stayed with me even after I left. One in particular was the installation done by a Chinese artist named Tehching Hsieh, aka Sam Hsieh. In 1978 Mr. Hsieh, who at that time was 28, spent a year locked in a cage, voluntarily living in a space similar to that of a prison cell. It was a one-year performance in which the artist lived in that cell and relied solely on the assistance of his friend ChengWei Kuong who was responsible for bringing him food, clothing and emptying out his waste. In addition, Cheng Wei would take a picture of Mr. Hsieh every single day to document his year in prison. All 365 pictures of Mr. Hsieh (except for 7 which were damaged) are pinned against the wall and as you walk along the wall, you see his hair getting longer and longer and his face (although he keeps the same expression in every photo), changing as well. I found this installation to be so inspiring and thoughtful. First of all, I love any type of longitudinal study. It’s the psychology major in me, however, I am not someone who has the patience to ever participate in one myself, perhaps that is why I am in awe of those who can, and Mr. Hsieh is definitely someone that intrigues me. In addition to this one-year piece, Mr.Hsieh has had several others. In 1980 he decided he would punch a Time Clock in his studio every hour on the hour for one year. He did that from April 11, 1980 at 7 p.m. to April 11, 1981 at 6 p.m. In 1981 Mr. Hsieh decided to do an installation where he would stay outdoors for an entire year. He would not go inside a building, a car, a subway, cave, tent, train, airplane or ship. The only “indoor” shelter that was permissible would be his sleeping bag. He did that in New York City from September 26, 1981 at 2 p.m. to September 26, 1982 at 2 p.m. His next installation involved being tied together at the waist with a rope measuring 8 ft long to a woman named Linda Montano. They would stay tied together and never touch during the year. That piece started on July 4, 1983 at 6 p.m. to July 4, 1984 at 6 p.m. He had several more one-year installations, but these to me were the most notable. I believe that the reason this installation spoke so loudly to me, besides my interest in longitudinal studies, is due to my personal commitment to experience NYC for at least a year. I saw in Mr.Hsieh’s face that although nothing but time changed for him in his cell, he physically changed and I’m sure emotionally and mentally as well. So I can only imagine what a year away from home, and in a new city as big as NY, will do to me. It’s a scary thought but an exciting one as well. And if I ever feel homesick, I simply have to remind myself of Mr.Hsieh and be thankful that I am not spending my time in a cell or punching in a time clock, on the hour, every hour, for a year.
Besides Mr. Hsieh’s one-year installation the art pieces by Picasso, Warhol, Kahlo, Calder, Lichtenstein, Monet and several other revered artists were great to see in person. I had seen many of these artists at the MOMA in SF as well, and of course in Art books. But seeing it in real life and being able to study them so closely is something that is indescribable. But besides these very famous artists and their signature work, there were several pieces at the MOMA that contribute to my skepticism of what modern art is. There were pieces that just simply made me shake my head. In one room, I found as “art” a pile of bricks on the floor, a kitty liter bag, a plywood painted pink, a narrow piece of wood painted red, a canvas painted white and many more oddities and questionable art. I’ve posted them on my blog for you all to see. What do you think? Is it art or fart (hot air) ;-)
Anyways, if you haven’t been to a museum in awhile, I hope this blog entry inspires you to. I certainly realize after a visit to the museum the importance of art in our lives and the need for all of us to express it in some form or fashion. Writing and photography is my creative outlet and having a blog has provided me a wonderful platform in which to express my creativity. How do you express yours?
Well, before I leave this post, I want to just remind all of my friends back in SF that “Warhol Live” is at the DeYoung. ('Warhol Live' presents the first comprehensive exploration of Warhol's work as seen through the lens of music.) If I were in SF I would definitely check it out, so since I can’t be, please see it for me and let me know how it is. Enjoy and as always, thanks for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment